Saturday, April 25, 2009

Random Packing Thoughts-Medicine

We basically raided our entire medicine cabinet....EVERYTHING went. You get an owie...I brought the Neosporin. You get an earache, I asked Bruce to bring his ear-thingie. That one got him big, too, as he got the blue glove treatment at the airport when that bad boy sent the scanners into high tech terrorist alert! You get toe fungus, I've got the Lamisil. Your skin rash comes back, I had three different kinds of Hydrocortisone cream. You get a fever, I had the thermometer. You get any type of headache or other pain, I had Tylenol, Ibuprofen and Children's of both (which came in handy the night Coop woke up with a 102 temp). I took my new migraine meds after the two I had at the beginning of the year. With that, I also brought along the big gun pain meds that piggy back with the migraine meds. I had nausea meds from my pregnancy, and The Patch for my newfound sensitivity to motion, courtesy of my pregnancies of course. I tried to get my doctor to just call in a new bunch of patches for me, as he'd done for my last cruise. Just my luck my doc was on some sort of sojourn of his own, so I got his replacement. After 45 minutes of a 15 minute scheduled consult, I came away with what I hoped was a prescription for The Patch (not to be confused with a birth control patch), after of course going through my entire medical history. At one point I thought he was going to schedule an MRI and CT because motion sickness can also be a symptom of a host of other atrocious illnesses, including diabetes and brain tumors. I tried to reassure him that I only experience this sensation when cruising and obnoxious car rides, and finally convinced him to call off the imaging sessions. While there, I did get confirmation that I DO NOT have diabetes. Yet! Apparently that was the only test he could do while holding me there hostage. For this cruise I also secured medicated ear drops for Tommy and antibiotics for Cooper. When you say 12 days to the tropics, it tends to get you what you want for the kids. We did not see the insides of the ship's medical facilities, but we did see one guy hooked up to IV's unloaded from the ship and loaded into an ambulance....in Panama....to an ambulance driver with a stained Corona teeshirt and cut off jean shorts. I didn't see an id, either, but apparently in Panama they do things differently. We also diverted to Grand Cayman one night to off load a passenger (more preferable than Panama!) and then when we made port back in Ft. Lauderdale, an ambulance and fire truck met us at the pier. Maybe the stress of disembarkation was just too much for them! Basically, we went totally and 100% prepared, and although we didn't need the toe fungus cream, or the antibiotics, don't forget John woke up with Pink Eye, so nothing was off the table for us on this journey!

No comments: