Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tofino 2009

Tofino Marathon Relay 2009 was our second attempt at this race, and yes, for the two of you that may be curious about this event this year, we did complete it-with two teams this year! I will have to say, though, that despite assurances by running guru, Hal Higdon, walking breaks are a joke in competitive running. As I started out on the five miles, I looked around. Who will be taking their first walk break? Surely the larger lady with the purple running tights will get tired soon, right? What about the girl beside me, puffing a bit harder than I and maybe just a tad bit more red in the face? And then, as the miles came on, I realized that I may have been the only one in this entire race that prepared with Hal Higdon's walk breaks in place.
It's not a good feeling, let me tell you. Watching everyone pass you by...looking behind you and seeing no one trudging along slower than you. Running in the sand of Chesterman Beach, you would think that I would have been amazed at the beauty of the crashing surf steps from my running shoes, rallying with the salty breeze in my face. NO! I was mentally retiring from running, done, finished, completely spent. Not going to lace up again! Done.
And so it was...I think I am done with this running thing. John may be training for his Iron Man, and for that I will continue to be his bigger cheerleader. Tofino may see me again, in some form or another, because it is a breathtaking place. I just won't be heading there with a sick stomach and an overwhelming feeling of dread in my heart.
And then again, I told cousin Brad last night....you just never know...I may pull a Favre after my leg muscles have recovered enough for the good memories to outweigh the pain!

No comments: