Monday, August 27, 2012

Neurology 2012

This month found us down once again at Seattle's PolyClinic in the neurology clinic.  A bit of acceleration for headaches had me calling down to check in, and we found it was time for a check in anyway.  Of course it would see us traveling down to Seattle on one of the hottest days of the year, with Seattle checking in well over 90 degrees that day.  I initially tried to change the appointment when we saw the forecast, knowing it was a rare day and perfect for doing anything but crawling down I-5.  Not to be, as the next available appointment was way out in to September and wouldn't help us get med paperwork for the school done in time to start the new school year.
Thomas has grown 4 inches in 2 years, which was the last time they measured him.  He has put on 18 pounds in 1.5 years, which sounds staggering.  However, on the growth charts, he went from the 50th percentiles just up to the 70-75th percentiles for both areas.  Hardly a chunky monkey and not even worthy of them commenting on until I asked what that looked like on a growth chart.  His main headache med is a known appetite stimulant, also used for failure to thrive kids.  We knew to initially watch for excessive eating, and don't seem to have that problem.  With that said, it's comforting to know that we don't have to worry about a too-skinny kid, either.
Earlier in the month I'd called Daniel, Dr. Plawner's assistant, after Thomas has a particularly rough day vomiting most of the afternoon.  I called him that night, telling him that I needed something else to help when the migraine went all the way as it had that day.  I told him the ibuprofen/tylenol/caffeine cocktail wasn't working and I couldn't get another round down him due to the vomiting. They brought on board Zofran, to be given at the first notice of nausea.  Thank goodness, as Thomas couldn't get relief from the pain as he just vomited his med cocktail up each time we tried.  What an awful spot to be in!  We also now have nasal spray Imitrex to use at our discretion, either in place of the cocktail or when the cocktail doesn't work.  I am not ready to give up the cocktail, as it seems that a lot of headaches respond to the mix, and I hate to think our first course of action is a heavy med like Imitrex.    I try not to think about the fact that my son has a prescription for this med as it is, much less something we might need to use multiple times a week.  My prayer each night is that someday his headaches will just go away.  I am very grateful for the doctors down in Seattle, for the meds we have.  I also pray that someday he won't need to suffer with these things.

No comments: