Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Funny Comments for January 07

Just last night, when I was trying to wrestle, Thomas squirms away and says, "No mommy, daddy wrestles." I snuggled up to him again, tickling and smooching on him, only for him to yell, "No, no mommy, daddy wrestles me." I asked, "Well, then, what do mommies do?" Without missing a beat, he replied, "You cook." After a moment digesting this, I burst out laughing. How funny that he should think me, of all mothers, cooks! Has he not noticed that I HATE to cook? Has he not noticed that John and I eat the same meal again and again and struggle to make sure we're feeding him lots of different stuff, however much it wouldn't be our choice? My feelings were a bit hurt, considering I think I spend a fair amount of time playing, taking him on outtings, trying new activities with him and even wrestled him before the belly got too big for it to be safe. John mentioned that he should feel hurt, considering he does a lot of the cooking around this place, including many breakfasts, coffee breaks and dinners for all of us. I just had to think about the professional mothers everywhere who would be aghast at his innocent comments. Maybe in the 50's but certainly not NOW!!!

"Take my Bi-per off, please!" when he's got to go potty or he thinks it's wet. "My Bi-per is wet, by bi-per is wet," he'll cry out, still refusing to wear his underwear or pullups. The other day, when John told him he could he could go poo in his toilet just like he goes potty, he says, "No, put on my bi-per. I go hide in my room." He likes to hide behind things, like his door, in the closet, behind the plant or in another room when he does his business. We've made progress, though. Just today he came out of his room with his diaper on and told me he needed to go to his bathroom. That's the first time he's told me he wants to go even with his diaper on. Still refuses to wear the pullups or underwear, but at least we're making small baby steps.

"You okay, mommy. You not sad."

"Mommy, look at the boats racing" while watching swimmers in the pool doing laps in their lanes. When a rather large woman came into the pool area and started for the stairs to the pool, Thomas says to me, "Mommy, look. Super, super, super big ship coming."

"Mommy, I want to cuddle you."

No comments: