Sunday, September 09, 2007

First Day of Preschool



The excitement of the first day of school was tempered with the reality that Thomas just didn't think much about going. He didn't want to go, didn't want to leave home, didn't want to leave his toys. "I don't want to go." "I want to stay with Grandpa." "Grandpa will watch me." "When I get bigger." "Maybe next time." I thought I heard them all.
With potty training (or potty bribing!) taking a positive turn just this week, I figured spending money on new clothes that he couldn't pull down weren't worth it right now.
Off we went with my promise that he would enjoy seeing his new friends, playing with new playdough and having fun outside again. A special treat was daddy following along with us to see his new school. Seeing him attempting to keep his red backpack (filled with a toy of his choice, a change of clothes and bi-per and wipes just in case!) on was quite cute, as a flood of baby memories came rushing back. Knowing he had only one morning of preschool this week made it easier in realizing my baby is indeed growing more and more towards independence. It is a beautiful thing to watch, amazing, funny and quite remarkable to see, but as any parent will tell you, these type of baby steps also bring on a bit of pain, too, for you are again forced to realize this time is so precious and so very limited.
John stayed a while before having to rush off to work, then I managed to keep Cooper happy for a bit longer, hoping that Thomas would love it so much he wouldn't care if I snuck out or not. Nope. Not this time. Thankfully, I really had no choice in the matter, because Cooper was indignant that I would dare forget his bottle and we really had to go home for that. Tommy cried as I left, but Teacher Dana held him tight, distracted and told me that it was only maybe until I'd reached the outside door that he cried. Then he was fine and enjoyed the rest of his morning. The feeling of driving off I had experienced in the spring and with Cooper protesting loudly in the back gave little time for sadness. Sitting at home waiting to pick him up was different. Such a strange feeling looking around and not having him there, begging me to play, watching a show while Cooper ate, things like that so normal in our mornings together.
"I cried for you," he said later that day. "But just a little, right?" I replied. "Yep."
"Was it fun?" I asked once we were back on the beach, hoping and praying for a positive spin on his answer. "Yep. Super fun," he replied before dumping a load of sand over Cooper's body. Some things never change!

No comments: