Friday, April 25, 2008

Cooper's Almost 1

Jenny has called me up after two different babysitting gigs with him, telling me what a sweet boy he is. I have to smile. Truly, we are blessed to have this little boy in our lives. One year ago, late in the night and only hours before getting serious with hard labor, I remember wondering what we should name him. We didn't know. I remember laying in bed after a long day trying to get labor to progress, thinking about this little baby, worrying about him, thanking God that we had gotten that far with the pregnancy, wondering how our lives would be changing in a few short hours.

Today, Cooper was toddling about, trying to keep up with Grandpa and Tommy as they mowed the grass. He hollered and cried when he couldn't get what he wanted. He spent a lot of time in the "Hoob-mobile". He hollered and cried when he couldn't get into the lake, over and over again. He climbed up on the entertainment center from the red ottoman, he begged to run the coffee machine and hold the grinder as it was grinding. He wrestled with his brother and dad on the floor bed. He made friends with anyone and everyone who would look his way in Costco, quite pleased with himself as he quickly made his way down the long aisle. Finally he's making gains at sleeping through the night (now I know I've gone and jinxed myself) He still walks around with legos stuck in his mouth, puts rocks in his mouth, and enjoys playing in the toilet bowl. Now he has figured out how great it is to flush the toilet as well, or play in the shower water, or dig around in the dirt of our house plant. The other day he surprised me by plopping himself down beside me when I said I wanted to change his dirty diaper. Most times he's fussing and trying to flip on me when I'm trying desperately to get him changed. He's trying to help when changing his clothes, and loves to fling laundry about. He also appears to have his mother's love of gab. Jenny told me today that even with her on their car ride, he was talking up a storm, jabbering about this and that with the kids. He loves to put things over his head and play peekaboo, and enjoys chasing and being chased around, his hands flapping around as he hurdles himself around. The other day he made his way down 4 stairs. How, I really don't know. He should have ended up in the ER. Somehow he made it down, fully standing, looking up at me as I sprinted around the corner.
With Cooper, our lives are full of laughter and joy. Each day is such a beautiful gift. To see our boys playing, loving on each other, giggling and sparring...it truly has been an eventful, crazy, wonderful year!

No comments: