Monday, March 02, 2009

Tommy Registers For Kindergarten!

And his Mother almost forgot!

Despite numerous reminders from Jenny, on this morning I raced around my house getting ready for work, dashed out to the car, and hastily made my way out of the neighborhood-without a thought about kindergarten registration. I got so far as to gas up the tank down at Lafeen's, before taking a call from John out near Whatcom Falls. John usually doesn't check in with me quite so early, so I wondered what it could be this early. Had Tommy come out of his room to find me gone? Was he upset? Did he need to talk to me? Was something else wrong?

"Cynthia, Jenny just called. Today is we need to register Tommy for kindergarten."

Oh....oops.....

how could I have possibly forgotten my first baby's first registration for kindergarten (well, let's hope I don't have to register him a second time...remember....we have college dreams for him and a repeat of kindergarten is not in our plans!)

I raced back home to get the birth certificate that John had pulled out, then raced up the street for the Geneva Elementary school office, most certain that I would have to walk the line of shame past other mothers who'd gotten there early and now had already labeled me the "loser mom who almost forgot".

No, not a line in sight! No line of shame, and the secretary didn't even blink an eye. In fact, there were only a few other names on the list....hmmmm...maybe not so much a horrible parent after all. I started to relax a little, although my hands shook as I tried to fill out the stack of paperwork in front of me. You'd think I was entering him into college for all the paperwork they gave me.

Or maybe it was reality hitting me...I was signing my first baby up for the wonderful world of kindergarten. My baby.....our surprise....

I look forward to the wonderful journey that will begin, holding onto every "I love you, mama" and schmooches that I can!

No comments: