Friday, May 12, 2006

Planning for a Party and Concert



I have thought of very little this week except for John's birthday and this concert. I'm sad that two very fun events have to be competing for my attention, but of course, my husband's birthday wins every time. I chatted throughout the week with John's friends, trying to determine the availability of their attendance if I should plan one, and determined that it might just work. Knowing John didn't want me to shop for him without him, I gave up the thought of actually buying him gifts that he'd end up returning, and focused on trying to both surprise him with a party AND get him a cake ordered worthy of a surprise party.

This morning I rushed out to a doctor's appointment, then raced off to see if I could participate in some of the morning load in for the concert tonight. It was fun just to be allowed into the venue as help instead of entering as a fan, but unfortunately the artists were too sleepy to get off their buses in time for me to be of much help with set up. Soon I was off again hoping the day would play out as scheduled. Exhausted, I napped with Thomas instead of keeping busy, but after nap time again took off to buy a "fake" cake at Haggen for the evening party. For dinner we ate hamburgers from the grill and didn't even cut the cake before John agreed to take us to the concert in order for me to see the crowd that was gathering. Then it was off to somehow transfer the real cake from the delivery store across the street to The Big Fat Fish Company, where John had agreed to take us to dinner, all without John finding out the real plan.

Somehow we managed to break away from Thomas, who stayed behind with grandma and grandpa, and we headed off. I think John was a little surprised at the party, but he admitted afterwards that he knew something was up. Well, no one can accuse me of not trying, that's for sure. Uhhhhhh......oh well. It was a lot of fun hanging out with Jodi, Matt, Julie and Andy, Lance and Jenny. Unfortunately, Berg was too tired to join us in the festivities. He won't, however, live down the fact that Julie came straight from her away track meet today, when Berg's track meet that was so exhausting happened YESTERDAY!!!

AND, Thomas was still awake at 11:15 when we arrived home. Imagine that! Thomas waiting up for us! How sweet! Brother!

No comments: