Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sleep time routines

Tonight I was away from home to pass out fliers to those leaving a concert at the Mt. Baker Theater. We're frantically trying to get Christians interested in a Compassion International sponsored tour stop here in Bellingham, so yes, I was reduced to handing out fliers to people leaving another concert. I felt almost like a telemarketer, and one guy even asked us if we were handing out tracts. He wasn't too happy with us, despite us telling him "No, it another concert opportunity," (you jerk!---uhhh, no, I didn't quite let that out, of course.) I thought Thomas would for sure be in bed by the time I got home. After all, it was after 10 pm. But no, Thomas was still fighting it, however exhausted he really was. John said he had been crying for me, asking for me, even though he knew Mommy was "running an errand." I went in, picked him up, rocked and cuddled with him, then put him down. And he was out like that. Funny how all the rules you know to follow about bedtime routines, not getting your child into the habit of rocking him, tucking in then walking out, and such, all have deserted me now. I have co-workers that talk about their children who are now either in college or out of college and I am constantly reminded how short my time with Thomas truly is. It may be hard down the road, but today, tonight and tomorrow I will cuddle, hold, rock, snuggle, kiss and smooch my baby boy for as long as he should want me to. Bedtimes may be late, but Thomas is two but once in his life. I cherish every moment I have with this beautiful little guy.

No comments: