Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Silverwood Trip 2006 Day 1

Today we set out on the long journey to Silverwood Theme Park. Thomas is an absolutely fabulous traveler these days, and it seems such a distant memory of the days when I couldn't let the car stop rolling for fear the little cry-fest in the back would start to howl. He spent the majority of the morning playing with his cars in the back, pretending in his own world and chatting up a storm about this and that, looking around and just taking care of himself. We stopped in North Bend for breakfast, then stopping at the Starbucks in Ellensburg for caffeine fuel and a body stretch for Thomas. It's funny to introduce Thomas to the loves of this world, mainly Starbucks while traveling. It's a sad day when we travel somewhere where this is no Starbuck, and thankfully we don't go many places where one can't be search out. Thomas has been known to sneak my coffee mug at home and take a few gulps of doctored coffee before I can catch him, so it won't be long before he joins in on the world-wide phenomenon.

The weather was absolutely beautiful on the trip across the river and through the Gorge, but ominous clouds were gathering in the distance, and we knew things weren't looking good. I tried to maintain my good humor, but as we continued on and the clouds thickened and darkened, it became apparent my hopes for Eastern Washington heat were going down the toilet, and that is where my humor followed. It took every ounce of willpower I had in my bones not to throw the biggest tantrum, and even then I was muttering dark fighting words under my breath. Good thing Thomas was sleeping through it, or he would have seen a side of mommy he's never witnessed before. Angry! Yes, furious. My trip to Mexico was cold and raining. Our Memorial Day trip was cold, storming and rainy. And now we were faced with our entire water park trip to EASTERN "HEAT WAVE" Washington being rained out as well! Ahhhhhhhh!!! Wednesday was gone before we knew it, and we spent time at the Couer D'Alene mall shopping for shoes for Thomas and playing at the Burger King play structure waiting for the rest of the family to get into town. We were so very thankful we'd booked rooms at The Holiday Inn Express hooked up to an indoor water park. We ate dinner at the KFC in our parking lot, then spent the remainder of the evening at the water park. It was a lot of fun to hang out with the kids and play together, and that was the blessing of the night. I imagine we all went to bed praying for something better for tomorrow!

No comments: