Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Today was the day I've been putting off forever. Forever being since the day I saw my best friend's face all blown up from her own ordeal way back in high school. You hear all the horror stories, some from back in the day, some recent, and then I had Stephen's hospital/surgery scare from last summer playing around in my mind, as well as the most recent story of a distant relative having a stroke in the dentist's office. Combine those with the fact that my husband had his pulled without anything but the standard dentist needle because his doctor dad told him that there is a risk of dying anytime you go under. Oh, gee, that's comforting! Needless to say, I was less than thrilled about the prospect of going in and possibly....oh, well, say DYING!!! Don't think I didn't rehearse what I would tell John before I left him in the waiting room. Something along the lines of "Tell Thomas he is the biggest joy of my life, my everything, don't keep me alive on machines, get on with your life, tell our baby how much I love him and always will" kind of stuff. Unfortunately, all I got out was a quick kiss and I was out of there, hurried along to face whatever condition the surgeon and nurses were in after a night of 4th partying.

Talk about a non-event! I didn't even get to do a countdown like you see in the movies. Spray my hand with super, super cold stuff, tell me my legs might itch, I lean my head back and the next thing I realize is one eye is open and I'm peaking out from under a blanket in some strange room. I shut that one eye again, hoping the next time I'd open it I might remember where I'm at. No worries, though. Someone tells me they're going for my husband. Two eyes open up then. And everything is foggy from that point on.

I cooked some dinner for Thomas that night after sleeping until midday. I didn't need any good narcotics from that point on either, but was suspicious that things were going too well and I'd face some calamity later. My face wasn't swollen and nothing seemed much out of the ordinary, other than a nasty taste of blood a now constant. Without that, things would have been great. Hmmmm...I'm wondering when the "horror" story begins!

No comments: