Sunday, March 18, 2007

Kicked Out!

Yes, that is right! Kicked out! As in his room! By a not yet three year old! "Don't come in here," is what I heard, as I made my way into Thomas' room to visit. Obviously, he and daddy were engaged in some serious playtime, busy constructing machines and such with his MegaBlocks. I guess it didn't matter that I'd spent all day entertaining the little guy, first to the park, then to donuts, then out on errands together, where we spent an extended time checking out each and every cheap wind up toy Haggen has in stock. Had he forgotten the stop at Starbucks after he asked for "kids cocoa and chino" for mommy? Did he forget the post-parktime sprinkled donut (not the cake kind!) at Lafeen's?
Daddy quickly got involved, gently but firmly reminding Thomas yet again that it makes Mommy (or anybody) sad when he talks that way, that that isn't nice, that it will hurt feelings, and on an on. Thomas choked out an apology, but you could tell in his face he was still clearly distressed that I was invading, and he let me know by jumping in his crib and burrowing in his pillow. With Mommy in the room, playtime was over! Realizing it wasn't worth it, and maybe I should take advantage of some couch time, I walked out, only to hear Thomas quickly jump out of his crib and back to the construction site. As I walked away from the door, it shut on me, and I could hear Thomas reply, "Good, she's gone."
You've got to be kidding me! Pregnancy hormones raging, I walked to the shower, knowing my tears were not the result of my son's desire to have alone time with his dad. But still, I would not help but feel a sense of sadness, knowing that this was the first of many times that I will be reminded that although I may have given birth to him, may be willing to die for him, he will still break my heart, again and again. I can only think that this is but a small little crack in preparation for the day ahead when he will choose his friends over me, his girl over me, and eventually leave the home we have shared together for so long!

(And yes, there was a knock on the door, followed by a very sad little "I saw-whee, Mommy" from the other side shortly thereafter.)

No comments: