Wednesday, March 07, 2007

1st Sharing Bag-Preschool PlayGroup Catch the Son

On Monday Thomas was given his job for the today's playgroup and it was "sharing bag". Thomas doesn't seem to get the whole idea of the sharing bag, but during circle time he's usually eager to see each item that is pulled out and talked about. On Monday night, John and Thomas talked about what he wanted to fill it with, and they went about putting in train track pieces, random Thomas the Train attachments and other items not really special enough to take with him, but I enjoyed watching the two of them work at it together. Last night, nervous that I would somehow forget the sharing bag altogether, I asked Thomas to figure out what his top three toys would be to take with him to show his friends at school. He didn't seem too interested, so I picked them out for them, then just to be on the safe side tucked the bag by the front door so we wouldn't forget them on our way out. I'm usually pretty anxious leaving the house in the morning, as no matter how early I get up, it's usually interesting to see how fast I can get Thomas ready to go. I can't even imagine what it will be like when there is a baby to get ready too.

The morning passed by quickly enough, and Thomas seemed to do better in class, even allowing me to "visit the office" and escape to the restroom without him. It took a lot of coaxing from the teacher's helper to get him to stay, though, and for that I was grateful. I hid out for a while in the hall, taking my time and trying to see how long he could go without mom right there in sight. He did a lot better, but when the activity ended he realized mom hadn't come back yet, and the crying began. I figure it's all about the baby steps, and I had to be thankful for even a little break. When it was time to go to gym, an activity Thomas loves, he called to me, "You coming Mommy? You coming with me?" in his sweet little voice. I could tell he was itching to go, and lined up with the other kids, but he kept a close watch on me to see what I would decide, and the look on his face was both anticipation of the fun ahead and a hint of tears in his eyes, just in case I wasn't coming with him. Of course I was going to go, not wanting to watch a meltdown right before Sharing Time. Shortly before it was time to go back to class he got nailed in the nose by another body flying by, but managed to pull it together by the time we walked into class and sat down by teacher to open his sharing bag. Very eager to share his toys with the others, he one by one pulled out his Chevron towtruck, his monster truck, his Cookie Monster talking toy and finally his chainsaw. I could tell with each toy he was eager to see the reaction each one brought from the other kids. And of course, his toys were a big hit, as it took the Teacher Dana several warnings to the other kids scrambling to get to him that they had to wait until class was over to talk to Thomas about playing with his toys. It was quite endearing to see the other kids clamoring around him wanting to check each one out, and Thomas handled it well, although he wasn't too sure they weren't going to take his stuff home with him, and kept looking to me for support. It was one of those "firsts" that I won't soon forget.

No comments: