Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Thoughts on the Lynden Fair

Now, just to clarify, I have high hopes for the Lynden Fair each and every year. We go each and every year, buy tickets, wait in lines, check out the parades.... This year, I'm going to grumble a bit. Maybe because I'm tired. Maybe because I have a three and a half year old. Maybe just because Lynden needs to join the technological age for Pete's sake!
It started months ago. I tried to get three tickets to a grandstand concert. I had multiple options. I could buy tickets online through their website, in which I wouldn't see the ticket itself, meaning I wouldn't know which seats had come up until they arrived in my mail, leaving no choice over where I sit for this show. Another option was to call and buy over the phone. Again, they explained that they would pull up seats and I would have to take what I could get to come up, again not knowing where they would be until they arrived in the mail, but that they COULD write down my preferences and try to accomodate them as best they could. I pulled the phone back and looked at it like it was a creature from the dinosaur era. OR, I could drive up to Lynden and buy them in person. Would I actually see the ticket location then? I bet they would blindfold you just for kicks! I went ahead and bought tickets, waited anxiously for them to arrive in the mail, and wasn't too disappointed in them, however much I worried I'd be located at the top of the grandstand.




Yesterday we went to the fair. I took along a nanny prospect, to both check her out and see how the kids would do with her. Mainly I just needed an extra pair of hands to enjoy the fair and still keep Cooper with us. When I got up to the gate, with a very limited amount of cash for inside the gates, they informed me that they don't take credit cards! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! There are tiny shops down on the streets of B'ham that have a card machine, and a major Northwest fair can't be bothered with this technology? Maybe if I brought a chicken to barter with we would have had better luck.

Highlights of the Day

Buying more John Deere tractors and playing with them in the grass by the actual John Deere tractors-instead of going on the rides.
A meltdown to end the morning trip-by Thomas!
A meltdown to end the evening trip with daddy along this time-by Thomas! (I'll point out that Cooper did not cry once on either outing. Hmmmmm..something is fishy here!)
Changing double dirty diapers hiding behind a John Deere tractor!
We did not visit the animals. We did not visit the food vendors. We did not make it past the John Deere tractor section of the fair. We did not visit the bathrooms. Short and sweet and to the point! (John and I did manage to pound back a Moo-Wich, though!)

No comments: