Friday, January 11, 2008

Health and Patience

I realized that I wasn't quite myself when a friend asked me how I was doing, and when I asked why, she told me that I wasn't my usual jolly, happy self lately. It was sobering to know that I'd begun to let the sleepless nights and endless worry over continued sickness get to me in ways that my friends were also keying into. It has not been easy, these months since August. It was that month that Cooper became sick, and it seems that there have been only a few days since that I would say he's healthy. It has been challenging to keep up our sense of humor and our optimism in the midst of it all, but as we continue on, I know that what we have endured will only make it that more sweet when both boys are healthy and the worries move on to other areas of our lives.

Cooper

Shortly before Christmas I finally had enough of some nagging worries and took the little guy in. Turns out that despite continued cold and flu symptoms, they'd done little to stem his growth, and he was putting on weight as he should. The "bruise" that was conjuring up all sorts of nightmares in my mind, with it's refusal to go away, fade or shrink, turns out to be a Mongolian birthmark. Leave it to Cooper to have a birthmark that only something like 7% of Caucasian children have. The dark coloring in his belly button is his umbilical cord scab that is being stubborn about drying up normally. Fortunately, despite having Bruce upstairs for his entire life, I'd been so caught up with these issues and his cough that I neglected to think "ears". With an ear infection prescription in hand, I could only shake my head and thank God that I'd been giving Coop Tylenol for the top two teeth that are ballooning out but refusing to relieve the incessant pain and pressure.
Now, in January, he's on his second round of stronger antibiotics for yet another ear infection. After three and a half years without an ear issue with Thomas, I feel like we're in uncharted territory right now. I'm just so thankful that Bruce can keep a watchful eye on his ears and overall health. It doesn't stop my chaotic runs to Madrona after hours clinic to get it all taken care of, but it's great to have his consult and his wealth of experience with just this sort of thing.

No comments: