Saturday, May 05, 2007

Opening day of boating season.






This was one of those times when I had to put on a brave face and "just do it". After a lot of thought and debate on the outing, I finally decided to give it a shot, even though I was really conflicted on it. It would be so much easier to just sit back at home, sit on the couch, feed Cooper his meals and wait for the crew to come home from opening day of boating season. I wouldn't have to get the baby ready for an outing I had no idea about, nor would I have to worry about the wind, the waves, nausea, cold, what to do if Cooper doesn't like all of the above and starts to cry...things like that. Basically, I could sit back and just do "safe". After all, after a week, I've got it all figured out, right? Then again, do I like "chicken"? No! And I refuse to be one of those moms who continually plays it safe just for convenience. There may be times when it won't work, but if I'm just acting out of the fear of the unknonw, then I'll never take Cooper out. So, I sucked it up, packed up a bag and we headed out.

Turns out it all went great, better than I expected actually. Nothing happened, nobody went overboard. Cooper didn't throw a fuss, Thomas didn't throw a fuss. The waves were calm and I didn't get sick. (I promised myself I won't ever be nauseated again after 38 weeks straight of it with Cooper!) Lil packed a fabulous picnic lunch for us to munch on while we both motored and sailed, which was a big treat for us all to enjoy and the weather held up nicely with no rain. I was very thankful that I decided to go, however nervous I was about the whole deal. I would have missed out on the enjoyment of seeing Thomas light up seeing the SpongeBob-decorated boat, the SpiderMan on another boat, helping Grandpa steer the boat, and cuddling with him on the bed in back. I would have missed out on taking Cooper for his first sail at 8 days and hanging out together as a family. Memories that I wouldn't have back on the couch at home!

No comments: