Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Reality of Two...It's not double the work!

No, someone once told me that when you add a second to the brood, you don't double your work, you triple it! I say hogwash! It's not even close. WAY more! And while I don't presume to understand the amount of work to come in raising two boys as the lone female among the bunch, I do know and understand how very little "me" time there is these days. I am so thankful that I was able to come to grips with the reality of a mother early on. I realized very quickly how meaningless it is to quibble over the fact that you probably won't shower with any given regularity, or at least when you want to, how you will treasure the rarity of a visit to the bathroom by yourself and will sit there extra long just to see how long it can last, how quality time with your husband may consist of a quick hello, an even quicker kiss goodnight, and maybe a "how's it going" passing each other in the hallway, and how a clean shirt without food, boogers, spit up or some form of dirt is basically unheard of and ceases to bother you more than a passing glance.

And I have to shake my head and smile at it all. We still pass each other in the hall and give a kiss goodnight, but more often than not it's to change places with one of the kids that is not sleeping through the night, or to figure out who's going to sleep in the bed, the mattress on the floor or in the crack of the boat bed. The other night we started out with Cooper in the hallway and us in our bed. Middle of the night Thomas comes in and boots me out of bed, just in time to hussle Cooper out to the couch to eat. I thought better of disturbing the snoring Whipples in the big bed, so Coop and I headed to Tommy's room where he slept in the toddler bed and I tried to sleep on the boat bed. Musical beds! At least I didn't end up on the mattress on the floor. There is so much sand in that bed from the kids jumping that it's hard to sleep unless curled up tightly on the blanket that also doubles as "the tent".

Cooper has a great case baby acne right now, is still sleeping a great majority of his life, and in the last week has put together 5 to 7 hours of sleep a few nights. That, combined with John taking some midnight-1 am feedings, and I feel like I can manage pretty well throughout the days. I'm getting used to running in and out of the house to watch both boys at once, and have figured out how to hustle Cooper from floor, to bouncy seat, to swing and back, all the while keeping Thomas happy while swimming and playing at the beach. It just takes constant motion on my part, and I feel like I'm figuring it out, one day at a time. It helps that on days when I start to hyperventilate, Lil and Bruce come to my rescue, taking Tommy upstairs, outside and out on little trips, freeing me to just focus on Cooper. I don't know if they realize what a life save that is, but it is truly what is keeping us afloat during this crazy time. It also helps that Thomas seems to be adjusting to his changing life. When it's time to come in to feed Coop, he's pretty good about coming in with me and waiting it out, providing he can be entertained with a show and a snack. I'm very grateful that he's quick to distract and slow to get frustrated. All in all, 5 weeks have flown by and I think we're all very eager to enjoy a beautiful summer together.

No comments: