Sunday, October 16, 2005

Whatcom Falls Race and Lots of Trains and Tractors!

Today I ran my first race since before John and I were married and we ran the Midnight Sun Run in Fairbanks, Alaska together. I'm just hoping my time was a bit better this time around, although judging by the many times I wanted to sit on a log and cry, I'm not betting any money. It was a hard one for me, as I had banked on there being a lot more slow runners behind me (which was NOT the case and made me work hard to keep my position, therefore no cry-break!) I was shooting for 11 minute miles and ended up completing it with 10 minute miles, which I felt pretty happy about for the first time out. My bum knee held up, too, which was a real big concern, considering the first two-plus miles were uphill. My running friends, Marty (court commissioner here in B'ham) Dave (my supervisor in Juvenile Probation) and Erin (past intern) ran a great race. I think they all ran 7 and 8 minute miles. No official time yet, but they did a fabulous job!

Following the race end, we played in the pumpkin fields and Thomas spend a great deal of time riding the tractor train. He has become a huge train fan in the last week. As soon as his feet hit the floor in the morning he races for his trains, and at night we pull him off his trains, usually with much resistance. It has been very entertaining to watch this transformation.

Because it was such a beautiful day, Jenny thought it would be better to go to McPhail's pumpkin patch today instead of tomorrow, and right on she was. It was a gorgeous fall afternoon. The kids ran around the animal farms, took rides on the train through the yard, and we all picked pumpkins after a wagon ride to the patch, which we got to after going through one huge mud pit. I think Thomas would have been content without all the other "fluff". He just wanted to sit on the tractor or ride the train. Forget the other activities!

All in all it was a big day full of tractors, trains and pumpkins! I used to dread fall, but with these activities and fun times....bring it on!

No comments: