Saturday, March 11, 2006

Lummi Island adventure

I was feeling like going on an adventure with the weather so bright and sunny, so we bundled up and headed out for Lummi Island. Sounds funny, but in all the years I've lived here, 12 in total, I've never visited Lummi Island. We invited Bruce and Lil out for the journey and proceeded to try and find this elusive ferry terminal. We eventually found the landing, having taken the long way out to Sandy Point and through the reservation, but we made it on the ferry. Now, pregnancy appears to have done a number on my stomach and head. Within but a couple of minutes of a bit of swaying on the ferry and I could feel a change come over me. It wasn't seasickness, but very close, and pretty pathetic to say the least. We're talking a couple of minutes on a ferry and I was feeling something not quite right. Now, I'm about to go on another cruise with the girls and this has me worried. AND, John has mentioned saving up for a 30 day cruise several years from now, and this problem could terminate our planning before it even gets off the ground. My only hope is the patch, and I intend to speak to my doctor on Monday for the upcoming trip. I can only hope it works. I love cruising and pray that this isn't the end for me.

We drove around the island, and although beautiful, I wouldn't recommend bothering with a trip unless you really have nothing to do. For all the beauty, they sure don't want to share. I'm willing to bet that there are more Private, No trespassing and No Access signs on this island per square foot than any other place on Earth! There is no place to even turn off the road, much less get out, walk around and enjoy the scenery. No beach, no drive, no turn out. There is one hotel, but you can't walk on the beach unless you rent a room. We did manage to find a beach right back where we started, a narrow stretch of rocky beach right below a lovely little Beach Cafe. It was freezing cold with a stiff wind blowing in, but we had fun searching for shells and scrambling around. We enjoyed breakfast at the cafe before getting back in the ferry line. While waiting we enjoyed the most delicious box of Girl Scout Cookies I've had in a while. The ferry ride back wasn't so hard for me....oh man, how pathetic do I sound?!!! Absolutley unbelievable! We had a lot of fun and I'm so glad we made the journey out.

No comments: