Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Thomas Entry into his 2nd Year!

I want to remember this stage so well, and yet it is flying by so fast. Thomas is such a happy boy, and generally wakes us up with lively chatter, sing song baby jibber and conversation with the numerous toys he has in his crib. Once we drag ourselves to his room, he's quick to point out his friend Louie, who is a money with dark hair, his friend Charlie, who is a lion/monkey with long dangly arms and spots all over, and his new friends George, who I brought back from Mexico. When I presented this big, fat monkey to Thomas, he immediately crushed him to his chest and loved all over him. We asked him what his name was, and without hesitation, Thomas replied, "George." I guess he does look like Curious George, but Thomas only saw that movie once, so who knows. Then it's "Out, out, please!" and we're off. Thomas doesn't like to stall at anything. He can hardly handle me taking a bathroom break, and has been known to throw himself down on the floor showing me his displeasure. Most of the time this ends in a fit of laughter, as I'm quick to laugh at him and point out how silly he looks on the floor. Most of the time he's immediately asking for Lu-Lu or Maffews ouse, or saying, "Mommy, mommy, bye-bye new car, bye-bye new car." He's also asking to go to the grocery store. He's figured out there's hot rods sold at both grocery stores and knows exactly how to get to them by what aisle. Since returning from the beach he has yet to realize that dirty brown glacier water in Lake Whatcom and island blue warm Caribbean water is not alike, and continues to launch himself into the lake repeatedly, jumping in chest deep and splashing. This usually carries on for several minutes, just in time for him to totally freeze himself. Then some sanity kicks in and he realizes, "Wow, this is cold" and starts to cry about his wet clothes. And it's up to the house we trudge, sandy, wet and cold. I'm done trying to reason with him about this. Now I just concede another round of clothes and deal with it. Thomas has now almost mastered the art of saying please and thank you without prompting. It's is beyond heartwarming to hear him say, "No thanky ou, Mommy," and "Thank you, Mommy" without me saying a word to him. I still have to prompt him throughout the day, but more likely than not he is quick to follow through. When I ask him, "Thomas, do you want to eat (this or that) he'll say, "No thank you, Mommy" or "Yes, thank you Mommy." When I ask him something he doesn't want, like a diaper change, to go to bed, to go inside, he's quick to say, "No thank you Mommy" and take off at high speed. With Lauren, they play so cute together, but I've noticed that Thomas can tell what makes her squeal, and I've seen him take something from her and run, just to get her to squeal and chase him. It's actually quite funny, and I have to hide my smile as I discipline the little rascal. I think it will be very hard on both kids when Jodi and Matt move away. It just means I'll actually have to travel down to Seattle more. I love his little arms around my neck, or when he scrunches his face into mine. I love to cuddle and play hide, and watch him launch himself off the purple chair onto the mattress on the floor. He's all about an audience now, too, which is cute. He really wants to play with all that isn't to play with, like soaps, lotions, saline, glasses, toothepaste, jewelry, kitchen stuff, food in the fridge, my purse, and on and on. And he's really big into playing with us, not without. It's amazing that in one morning's time, the house has been sent ablaze with mess upon mess. And he's had so much fun doing it!

No comments: