Monday, February 05, 2007

Swimming at the Y- Try #1

After several less than fun outings to the aquatic center, I decided it was time to give another pool a try. Today was the first day of lessons and I was hoping it would be an outing for Thomas and I to enjoy on our days together but one that I would not have to actively participate in. I'm in no mood to put on a swim suit and get in a kiddie pool at this stage of my pregnancy! Although Thomas did well for his age (not quite three!) he did not do well enough with the older kids to keep him from being warned numerous times, followed by two warnings towards a time out. Now, I'm all for structure and order, safety and the like, but I wasn't too thrilled with my son being warned with timeouts for infractions that included not staying on the wall as directed, not keeping his hand on the wall and staying on the step while waiting for 4 other kids to take their turn. Watching it, I realized he is just not ready and up there with the 4 and 5 year olds in this class, nor should he be. He wasn't doing it deliberately, he just couldn't follow the directions like the others could and he couldn't stand still long enough while waiting. I saved his little buns from time out more than once, and by the time the lesson was over I was exhausted from trying to keep a reign on Thomas and not fall into the pool myself. Although Thomas said he had fun, it really wasn't the experience I want for him at 2 1/2. It should be about fun, splashing, learning some skills and learning to listen to some extent. It should not be about timeouts and warnings, as I feel he is still too young to be restrictive to this degree.

Lucky for us, the instructor and I agreed that the money I forked over for lessons could be applied to private instruction, where he can work and play with Thomas one on one in the pool. This worked out quickly, as when we got to the car the message on my phone was that Thomas was finally offered a spot off the wait list at Catch the Son preschool, at exactly the same time as the lessons that I'd just paid for at the Y. Justin was willing to work with Thomas at 11:30- 15 minutes after Thomas finishes Play Group. And I thought our Mondays and Fridays were going to be quiet!

No comments: