Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Visit to Play Group at Catch the Son preschool

Today we went to try out the Play Group for 2 1/2 year olds- 3 year olds at Catch the Son preschool up at the Lutheran church near our neighborhood. Thomas has been on this wait list since last spring, so almost a year now, and despite having signed up for swim lessons shortly before getting the call that we'd been entered, it is our priority to get him going now so that he can go there for preschool come fall. I was excited about Thomas having the opportunity to interact with other kids his age and begin to learn all the fun new things a set up like this can provide, but more apprehensive than I thought I would be. I was anxious about how he would handle the new environment, how he would do without mom as his number one fan and coach, and the new expectations he would need to learn. Having been warned twice in Monday's swim lesson that he would get a time out, I suddenly questioned whether I had adequately prepared him for what was ahead, although how can you "adequately" practice standing in line for your turn, going to chapel, sitting at a big table for snack and sharing with a bunch of other kids until you're actually in that spot. Although I was there, I tried to keep my distance and let him join in with the other kids, and it was quick to see that although he did spend a fair amount of time solo, he did engage with the other kids at the right times. When I left the room for a minute, he did notice, although it was a while before he came looking for me, and I quickly sent him on his way. When walking in a line to chapel time, I did walk near him, encouraging him to stay in the train line like a good train car. Teacher Dana was the engine and he seemed to like the idea. In chapel, he joined the others in singing a new song and then dipping their fingers in a bowl of water to symbolize baptims (the pastor gave a 2 minute-ish talk on the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He did okay during circle time, although I had to remind him a couple times to get back on his letter and sit and listen to the lesson on shapes. When the ball was rolled to him signaling his turn to share who he loves the most, he said, "My mommy and daddy" in a very clear voice. I thought I was going to cry right there, hiding behind the doorway. And it was particularly adorable to watch him eating his snack with the other kids. I was pretty impressed with my little guy, and thought about all the times mothers feel their hearts swell with pride for their little ones. I'm not sure how I will feel leaving him alone on his first day come this Monday, but I have several more days to sweat it out, dwell on it, stress out and contemplate my decision. Who knows? He may just surprise me yet again! After all, I suspect it's all my issues and not his, right?!!!

No comments: