Sunday, January 22, 2006

Seahawks WIN! Seahawks WIN!

John hopped on the Seahawks train long before noon, and it was just Thomas and I to play away the hours until game time. We went shopping and played at the mall, then headed to Papa Murphy's to get pizza and cookie dough. The goal was to keep Thomas awake as long as possible so that I could watch a bit of the game in peace and quiet without having to watch a cross route AND talk to Thomas at the same time. Thomas tried to pull a fast one on me with a call for nap at 12:30 but I coaxed him out of his crib with the promise of outside and candy, not to mention pizza and raw cookie dough (no, he didn't get it raw, but I really prefer my cookies mostly goo but a bit warm.) I didn't see much of the Steelers game this way, but that wasn't really the goal. I was successful at holding Thomas out until about 1:45, which is nothing short of fabulous.

The game started, I was sitting in near dark, in an eerily quiet house, without much of anything but pizza scraps and the FOX team to keep my company. Within minutes I was alternating between silent screams and fist pumps and jumping around the living room in silent celebration. I kept looking around for someone to high five or yell with, but with Thomas sleeping in the next room, there was none of that. Shortly before halftime, Thomas woke up and we traveled up to Jodi's where she'd hired Molly to watch the kids while we focused on the game. It was so nice to sit back and get rowdy with the adults.

John had a great time down there, and said the atmosphere was unlike anything he's seen before. He was hoarse from all the yelling and cheering, and said that the guy next to him only screamed "rip their head off" when appropriate, which I'm sure was a lot of the time considering the magnitude of this game. I remarked to Bruce last night that he'd better take some extra heart medication. He responded by saying, "How about some anti-depressants?". So true, so true! It would have been a long walk out of that place and an even longer drive home had the outcome been different.

No comments: