Friday, January 13, 2006

Seattle Trip/Sonics Game






I bought John Sonics vs. Miami Heat tickets for Christmas, before I realized he didn't want to go to a Sonics game this season because they stink this year. Oh well! I tried. At least, unlike the clothes I get him, he can't take these tickets back. He was thrilled about seeing the Heat, though, so that helped me feel a bit better about spending the money. I was determined to enjoy seeing Shaq even if John wasn't eager. Turns out he was, and we eagerly awaited our outing to Seattle. Leaving Thomas was difficult, as it continues to tug at my heart to leave the little ball of energy home, but Grandma reports he didn't have one ounce of trouble without us. Okay, come on! He could at least ask for me once, couldn't he?

John's fun plan was to park at the Seattle Center and take the monorail into downtown to avoid Friday rush hour. Ummmm...the monorail stinks about as much as the tax they tried to impose to pay for a new and longer one. Those poor Seattle-ites who were taxed like crazy on a pathetic excuse for transportation. John had just been on the website, but when we walked up to the terminal there was a little sign that read the monorail is down for maintenance difficulties indefinitely. Imagine our frustration. We very quickly had to change our plan and ran towards the bus stop around from Paul Allen's atrocity called the Experience Music Project. Look it up! It looks like a giant heap of trashed metal melted into a giant blog they call architecture. Hmmmmmm.....And it was raining and I didn't bring an umbrella!

We traveled into the city by city bus, spent 20 minutes in Nordstrom, raced to Urban Outfitters, swung over to run through Banana Republic and scurried to find the next bus that would take us back and get us to the game in time. With just a few minutes to spare, we flew into Starbucks for refueling and waited in the rain with a few hundred other soggy people and jumped back on the city bus. It wasn't quite the Seattle shopping trip I was looking forward to, but then again, I'll take what I can get.

We had great seats and I was very happy about that. I don't think I've had more fun in awhile, and I laughed and yelled more than I expected to. The place erupted when Shaq entered the court and it was a lot of fun to see him and watch him play. I didn't care who won the game. It was just a lot of fun to be there with all the energy and excitement of seeing the great players on the Heat team, like Alonzo Mourning, Dwayne Wade, Shaq, Jason Williams, and that punk Gary Payton. What a hoot it was!

No comments: