Monday, July 09, 2007

Clayton Beach Trek

People travel great distances to see the beauty of the Pacific Northwest. It's heralded in newspapers, magazines and travel brochures. Here in Bellingham it's but a short drive away, waiting to be explored. Genius that I am, I decided that we were all ready and able to take a hike down to Clayton Beach. All of us being Andrea, Grace (19 months), Jake (almost 4), Tommy (3), Drew (7), Cooper (11 weeks), myself and my mom. I just knew it would be a great trail for the kids to explore, and from my recollections from my college days, held no more than a couple small spots on the trail in which we may have to scramble.
Well, to "scramble" is fun and adventurous if you're on your own and have sturdy shoes on. To "scramble" across sandstone boulders and a small cliffside sandstone face with a double jog stroller, 4 kids and a baby- and flip flops....not so adventurous-torture! People on the trail applauded our efforts, and after making it back with only a torn toenail and minor cuts and bruises, we all had smiles on our faces for our trip. Mom asked me if it was worth it. Dripping in sweat from the exertion of lugging a double jog stroller with Cooper hanging on for dear life inside, I had to smile. Yes, the memory would be worth it, I told her. After all, we could say we made it down, played in the ocean waves, climbed a few sandstone formations that make the Chuckanut area famous, and made it back alive. Sometimes it just takes a bit more effort to make memories, that's all!

No comments: