Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Incident of the day

I am exhausted from keeping Drew and Tommy from killing themselves on the scooter and bike today. If the crazy traffic won't get them, then their own fearlessness will! After repeatedly telling Tommy to lay on his breaks to keep from screaming down the hill and biting it without a helmet, and warning Drew that he was going too fast, Drew nearly took a header out on the concrete. Only to be quickly followed by Tommy nearly flying into the mailboxes in quick succession. Standing in the middle of our road, I yapped at them, "Okay, guys, I'm serious. You're killing me here!" I just wanted to cry. Tommy said it all when he replied, "Don't worry Mom. We're just crazy nuts!" and continued on down the hill.

Shortly after pulling myself together to continue the trip home, I once again admonished Tommy about going too fast down to the house on the pavement. I really didn't want to clean out road rash from a gaping wound this evening. His comment as he continued down the hill?
"Don't worry, Mom. I'll make it."

Unfortunately for him, sometime moms are right afterall. I watched as he missed the curve and did a header end over end into Lil's flower bed, missing her concrete bunny by inches and just barely catching the lip of the embedded boulder with his elbow. With a stunned looked on his face and covered head to toe with beauty bark, he said to me,-
"Um, I didn't make it."
I couldn't help it. I was laughing uncontrollablly. I brushed him off, hugged him tight, and with my heart still in my throat, I whispered, "No, I guess you didn't."

No comments: